Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Walnut Pie


I'm on a roll with walnuts.

I've been making food for fisherman to take on a weekend adventure into the Canadian wilderness. One of the requests is for pecan pie. I didn't have any pecans in my cupboard this morning, and my car is currently having a rear bearing replaced, so with no vehicle and no pecans, I was a bit stuck for making pecan pie. Sorry boys.  

However, you will recall from my previous post (Coffee Walnut Muffins) that I did have access to walnuts. With necessity being the mother of invention, the pecan pie morphed into Walnut Pie. The fishermen will just have to live with it.

The following recipe is an adaptation of Edna Staebler's Old-Fashioned Southern Pecan Pie from her cookbook entitled 'Food that Really Schmecks'. I simply replaced the pecans with walnuts.

Ingredients:   

- pastry for a fairly large pie. I happened to have homemade pastry in my freezer, but you could use a frozen pie shell from the grocery store.
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbs flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tbs melted butter
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1 cup chopped walnuts

Instructions:
Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F. Mix all the ingredients together and pour them into an unbaked pie shell and bake for 45-50 minutes.