Monday, May 11, 2015

Raspberry Jam Bars


The finished product.

My husband has a tendency to buy in bulk when something is on sale. Does it matter that I don't really need 5 jars of artisanal raspberry jam? Not when it's a buck a bottle. He doesn't even like raspberry jam.

Because I baked this dessert in a round pan and cut it into wedges for serving, my husband referred to it as Blueberry Pie, which confused me temporarily.

Ingredients:

- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans (I used almonds...better with raspberries)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup raspberry preserves/jam

Here's the crumb mixture. I added too much flour because I was making these things at 7:30 in the morning and failed to read the recipe properly. Best to follow the recipe...the crumbs will be more buttery if you do.

Instructions:

Pre-heat your oven to 350°F. Line an 8- or 9-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil, (or a similarly sized round pan), extending the foil over the edges of the pan. Then grease the foil.


Combine the first 5 ingredients and beat at a low speed, scraping the bowl often, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press about half of the crumb mixture onto the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Spread the raspberry jam over the pressed-down crumb layer, then crumble the reserved crumb mixture over the top. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool and cut into bars.
  

 

Bars, squares or wedges...it matters not. They all use up the raspberry jam.