Thursday, October 4, 2012

Spiced Cranberry Chutney



Couldn't wait for turkey. I had to try it with toast and cheese. Luckily I'm about to be randomized into a diet and exercise trial. The sooner, the better. 


My friend Janice sent me this fabulous recipe for a quick, spiced cranberry chutney. I walked to the grocery store at noon to buy the cranberries, came home after work tonight, and made the chutney in 20 minutes. In case you can't read her fine script, here are the ingredients:

  • 1 green apple, peeled, cored and diced
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar ( I used a mixture of balsamic and white vinegar)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
  • 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
Place all ingredients in a pot over medium low heat. Bring to a boil and let simmer gently until the apple pieces are soft and the juices have reduced and thickened (10-15 minutes). Refrigerate until use.

You've just made a spicy, delicious condiment for Thanksgiving and you're a star.

No comments: