Saturday, November 7, 2015

Balsamic Vinaigrette (aka "Oil and Vinegar")


Many years ago, my good friend George taught me how to make a fail-safe vinaigrette. I rank this skill among the top ten things I have learned in life.

The critical things about this salad dressing are:

a) You must use Dijon mustard (not the bright yellow mustard that you might put on a hotdog).

b) You must dissolve the salt in the vinegar prior to adding the oil since salt will not dissolve in oil. Try a nice fruity olive oil for this dressing; olive oil is good for you anyway.

c) The ratio of vinegar to oil is always at least 1 part vinegar to 2 parts oil and most recipes for vinaigrette will state that the correct ratio is 1:3. If the vinaigrette is too acidic (too much Balsamic), your guests might choke on it. You will soon decide what ratio of oil and vinegar suits you.

Place a dollop of Dijon mustard in the bottom of a bowl. Add vinegar and a pinch of (good) salt to taste. Whisk to mix well. If you don't have a whisk, just use a fork. While continuing to whisk, add the oil in a stream. You'll notice that the whole thing becomes emulsified. Add a little freshly ground pepper, then taste it to make sure the flavours are balanced. Being Canadian, I frequently add some maple syrup to the mix to add some sweetness. 

George also taught me the meaning of "alfresco" dining. I was well into my twenties before I learned this, after experiencing 'a deer in the headlights' moment when someone much more sophisticated than I asked if I preferred dining this way. It simply means eating outside. While I picnicked, others dined alfresco apparently.