Saturday, September 12, 2015

Fish Camp Chicken Wings


My husband would prefer it if I accompanied him to various fish camps and did the cooking for him and his fishing buddies. Not a chance. I'm sure he'd like me to wear a French maid's outfit too.

However, I do provide prepared food for one meal on these adventures. As per usual, the meal is protein-heavy. This one will start with chicken wings and end with chili.

I reminded my husband that many restaurant-style chicken wings taste so good because they are deep-fried prior to saucing. I don't have a deep-fryer so this recipe is an alternative way to produce crispy wings in the absence of proper kitchen equipment. It worked pretty well.

Ingredients:
- about 4 pounds of chicken wings
- a large pot with sufficient water to cover the wings
- salt and pepper
- Club House La Grille spicy pepper medley or anything similar
- olive oil
- your preferred barbecue sauce(I used Diana's)
Use this or something similar. I'm sure there are zillions of available 'medleys' out there.
Instructions:
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.

Place the wings in a large heavy-bottomed pan and cover with water. Salt and pepper liberally. Simmer the wings in the water on the stove top until cooked through. It really doesn't take long to poach wings. They'll look rubbery and fairly disgusting at this point. Drain the water and coat the cooked wings with olive oil, then sprinkle them with the "spicy pepper medley" of your choice. Place the wings on oiled sheet pans and bake them in a hot oven until crispy and brown. (I used convection heat to speed things up). Remove from the oven and coat with your favourite barbecue sauce. 

These wings will be frozen for transport to the camp, then thawed and re-heated at a low temperature. They will simply get stickier and crispier the longer they stay in the oven.