Saturday, September 19, 2015

Concord Grape Jelly

I was very happy when several litres of Concord grapes arrived on my doorstep. My husband accepted them gleefully, stating his fondness for blueberry pie, thereby illustrating his ongoing issue with fruit identification. This morning while proudly handing me the Fall 2015 issue of the LCBO Food and Drink magazine, he commented on the "summer drink with lobster" on its cover, which I later identified  as a very autumnal "Johnny Apple Cocktail" garnished with, guess what, apple slices. I hope he's just trying to amuse me.

Back to the grape jelly.    
Concord Grapes...perfect little globes of purple goodness.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concord_(grape)
Ingredients:
- 4 litres of Concord grapes
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 and 3/4 cups of granulated white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon butter (to reduce foaming)
- 1 packet of liquid pectin (like Certo)

Instructions:
Stem the fruit and place in a large and heavy pot along with 1/2 cup of water. Crush the fruit well with a potato masher. Simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.

The simmering mash

Pour the cooked fruit through a dampened jelly bag or a cheesecloth lined sieve. Let the juice drip undisturbed for at least 2 hours or overnight (refrigerated). As per my friend's recommendation, I strained the juice a second time prior to measuring it for use in jelly-making. In a large heavy-bottomed pot add the sugar and butter to 4 cups of grape juice. Bring the mixture to a rolling boil. Then add 1 pouch of liquid pectin and boil hard for 1 minute stirring constantly. Fill and seal sterilized canning jars (as per previous instructions on this blog... see http://princessbubba.blogspot.ca/2015/06/strawberry-jam.html )

Getting ready to strain the mash

The dusky dark purple jelly