Sunday, August 9, 2015

Green Tomato Chutney

 
My sister gave me some green tomatoes from her garden, determined to thwart the thieving deer.

In searching my files for a tried and true recipe for green tomato mincemeat, I happened upon one for green tomato chutney. This recipe card was written in the unmistakable hand of my old friend Holly, someone I haven't seen in many years but think of frequently. This chutney is dark and savoury, and may remind some of Branston Pickle.

Green tomatoes, saved from the maws of Lanark County deer.
Ingredients:
- 3 pounds green tomatoes, chopped
- 1.5 pounds onions, chopped
- 1 pound apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups malt vinegar
- 1.5 pounds brown sugar
- 6 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp. mustard seed
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 3/4 tsp. cayenne ( I left this out to no ill effect)
- 1/4 cup pickling salt

Instructions:

Chop the vegetables and cook in a heavy-bottomed pot for 1 hour with the vinegar. Add the remaining ingredients; cook for another 2 hours. Bottle in a sterilized jars ( as per previous instructions on this blog for strawberry and plum jam).