Sunday, September 22, 2013

Mushroom Tarte



I saw a recipe for a mushroom tarte in the fall edition of the LCBO Food and Drink magazine, which I carefully cut out and held safely in my purse for several weeks until I decided that I was quite in the mood for mushroom tarte. It's sort of like when I decide I need a haircut, I really need a haircut. Right away. 

Of course, I'd lost the recipe. No matter. There's nothing much in a mushroom tarte other than some mushrooms...oh, and a bit of cream , of course. This made-up-on-the-spot recipe was actually pretty good. And in case you're interested, I don't need a haircut.

Ingredients:
  • 2   277 g. containers of sliced mushroom, one of white mushrooms and the other, cremini (or whatever combination you like)
  • 1 tablespoon of butter
  • 1/2 onion diced
  • 1/2 cup of 35% cream (aka. whipping cream)
  • 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh rosemary
  • salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
  • sufficient pastry for a single pastry shell ( see post dated Oct. 2, 2012 on this blog)
Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Sauté the onions and mushrooms in the butter until soft, add the rosemary, salt, pepper, and cream and simmer until the cream has reduced slightly. Remove the mushrooms from the heat and allow the mixture to cool somewhat. Roll out your pastry and fit it into the bottom of a pie plate or fluted tarte pan if you're fancy. Bake in the pre-heated oven until the crust is a lovely golden brown.


Prior to popping in the oven.