Monday, September 2, 2013

Farmhouse Tavern- 1627 Dupont St., Toronto


I occasionally travel to the Big Smoke to visit family and friends. Love to try new restaurants when I'm there. Most recently, I had the pleasure of brunching at the Farmhouse Tavern, a place with a fun vibe and fabulous food. There's an underlying sense that quality food and service are meaningful to this group. Have to say that the Caesar was the best I've ever imbibed, and I've had a few.

My niece Jess lives on the other side of town but didn't mind the drive to this clever joint with its clever chef. She's written the following review. Sounds like she's planning on making the drive again.

Farmhouse Tavern- Review by Jessie Bass-West

Remember those water glasses your Grandma had in the 80’s with cows, or flowers, or roosters printed on them?  I know where they went!  These retro water glasses now grace the tables at the west side eatery ‘Farmhouse Tavern’ in Toronto, ON at 1627 Dupont near Dundas West. 
Dupont and Dundas West??!!  

Yes. Though there’s not much else around, it’s worth the drive to eat here. The décor is inviting, the service friendly, and the kitchen an open book (it always makes you feel good to be able to watch the chef prepare your food…no monkey business here…just efficiency.)
Taste- Extraordinary!
Oh wait…I guess I should mention the food. YUM. The brunch menu boasted a nice selection of the sweet and savoury. Although I had the buttery traditional eggs benny with a melt in your mouth homemade biscuit, I watched the pancakes go by piled with fresh berries. Makes a girl want to change her mind and go sweet. The burger that was demolished by my aunt looked amazing. However, as they say- the devil is in the details- and by devil I mean deliciousness. The homemade ketchup that came with my aunt’s fries was so…SO good. The ribbon vegetables on our salads, so pretty.  The dressing on the salad was subtle and cleansed the palate (because…yeah, I mentioned eggs benny….hollandaise…again, so good.)

I hear their dinner is something to write home about too. I have a standing date with a pregnant friend to take me there for dinner for my birthday after things settle down with the baby. So…looks like I'll be looking at their dinner menu sometime around the year 2033. Haha. You might have to try it first.
Dinner- Thursday-Sunday from 6pm. Brunch Saturday and Sunday 11-3. Patio… √. Enjoyment…. √.  

No comments: