Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Pecan Pie - One way to start the new year

So I suppose it would be better if I started the new year off with a recipe with more obvious health benefits. But I just couldn't resist showing you this pecan pie that I made for New Year's Eve. After all, nuts are a good source of protein. It's taken  from Edna Staebler's cookbook published in 1979 entitled More Food that Really Schmecks.  

I resolve to eat more fruits and vegetables during 2103. Honest.

Ingredients:
- pastry for a fairly large pie (single shell)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla ( I forgot to put this in)
- 1 cup pecan nuts- the fresher and fatter the better

Instructions:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Roll out the pastry and place it in a pie plate; crimp/flute the edges of the dough. Mix all of the other ingredients together and pour into the pastry shell. Bake for 45-50 minutes. Cool and serve at room temperature with a dollop of whipped cream or creme fraiche.